Tuesday, May 27, 2014

30 Day Challenge: Day 10

Day 10: Something you Never get Tired of 


While there are many things that I cannot live without, there are very few things that I can say that I never get tired of. I am an adventurous person, I rarely stick with any idea, hobby, or interest for very long. I love ideas and dwell on them endlessly. So far as never getting tired of something, that rarely happens.  

Sports however, are different, I've played baseball since I was five and Golf since I was nine. I tried football, but then I got sick so that put a quick end to that.

Baseball is definitely my absolute favorite sport, like I said I have played for almost two decades now. I have never been great but I have been good enough to hold my own. I played catcher for most of my youth, and transferred to playing second base as well.

I love the action, the anticipation of not know where the batter may hit the ball is exhilarating. When you are batting it is pure instinct in action, when a pitch is coming at you, you have milliseconds to respond and make the decision to swing or let it go.  

Even to this day I play softball with my church, though a significantly different game the challenge is still just as significant. I used to mock softball for its slow pitches and larger target (the ball). However, after playing and being an umpire in several leagues I realized that though very similar, the two games are completely different animals, and each just as challenging as the other.





Golf on the other hand is a thinking mans sport, and it has taken me nearly fifteen years to realize that. Every shot on the golf course has to be approached with a strategic plan of action with even the most minute difference in club angle, speed, or swing able to throw off even the most well planned shot. It is a careful balance of power and control, and very few people are able to master it. I am just learning what it means to be in control on the golf course, I am taking the time to think about my game as well as play. I want to spend more time on the driving range learning about my swing so that I can master it and work with it any way that I can to improve the outcome of my rounds on the course.   

I know that technically this is two things but the aspect of sport is really one thing that I could never get tired of. The challenge, thought, and instinct required to master them are skills that will always hold my attention, and never lose their appeal.


No comments:

Post a Comment