Thursday, May 8, 2014

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

Graduation 5/5/13

Blog Challenge: Day 2, The Meaning Behind My Name

Nathan Kouris

 

Nathan is a Hebrew word of biblical origins, being both the name of a son of King David as well as a prophet. It is translated most commonly as "he gives." I find this incredibly fitting for my personality, I am an incredibly giving person. I'm the kind of person that has to fight the urge to stop and help every person on the side of the road. 
My name also has a Greek translation which is a relative of Jonathan, and Nathaniel; all three translate into the same definition: "Child of God." I suppose that given my families ethnic background this is the meaning that they intended, however, I associate more with the Hebrew. We are all children of God and for that I am very grateful, that's another post altogether, but to be known as someone who is a giver in today's society means so much more to me.

Kouris is purely Greek, meaning "of the northern forest." Again I can really relate to this, I love spending time in and around nature. From a young age, as I have mentioned, I have been an animal lover. I mean I was the kid who watched Animal Planet on T.V. instead of Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. To this day we love hiking as a family whenever we can, and we are intentionally looking at homes that have acreage and woods so that we can live as sustainably as we possibly can. Also completely ironically I was born and raised near Cleveland Ohio which is about as north you can get, I mean Canada is just across the lake.

So in a nutshell I am the giver that comes from the northern forest, I'm totally ok with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment